Get home safe every Weekend!
Safer Streets ‘Nite Zones’ in the city centre operate each weekend in Gordon Street, Sauchiehall Street, West George Street and Albion Street. Since 2005 and more than 2 million people to date have been safely marshalled while queuing for night transportation. Additionally a further 2 ‘Nite Zones’ have been established in Shawlands, and the West End at Byres Road.
A significant amount of supporting activity by Community Safety Glasgow and all partners involved in the co-ordinating group has been developed, making a significant contribution to public safety including:
- extended cctv coverage through the provision of additional fixed space cameras, mobile cctv patrols and electronic links with citrac roads’ cameras, all co-ordinated through a dedicated control room;
- installation of public help points at night taxi ranks and bus stops;
- lanes in Glasgow city centre undergoing gating and/or additional lighting;
- creation of dedicated night bus stops and deployment of Bus Marshals;
The development of the Safer Streets ‘Nite Zone’ strategy has resulted in a range of benefits to existing and future visitors to the city including:
- increased supervision of the night-time economy with reduced levels of serious violent crime and alcohol-fuelled complaints;
- effective deployment of resources leading to speedier response, more focused prevention activity and improved community intelligence collection and sharing;
- reduced incidents of queue jumping, antisocial behaviour, spontaneous acts of violence and litter, resulting in improved public perceptions of safety; and
- more effective cctv camera coverage with clearer images obtained leading to improved evidence collection.
Nite Zone is now on Facebook
Find and like our Nite Zone pages on Facebook for the latest info on our Nite Zone locations and info on how to get home safely.
- Click here for more information on the Gordon Street NiteZone
- Click here for more information on the Sauchiehall Street NiteZone
- Click here for more information on the Byres Road NiteZone
- Click here for more information on the Shawlands NiteZone
- Click here for more information on the Albion Street NiteZone
- Click here for more information on the West George Street NiteZone